Cashew nuts are one of the healthiest foods in the world. Unfortunately, not many of you know the numerous benefits they offer, and only a very small percentage of the natural medicines comprehensive database is dedicated to them.
Countries like Nigeria, Tanzania, Mozambique and Brazil are the biggest producers of cashew nuts, mostly due to the fact that they need hot and humid climate in order to grow.
Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
- Cashew nuts are rich in vitamins, soluble dietary fiber, minerals and many phytochemicals that prevent diseases, including cancers. Cashews are also rich in calories: about 50 grams of these favorable foods contain 275 calories.
- These beneficial nuts provide numerous essential vitamins, including pantothenic acid or vitamin B5, pyridoxine or vitamin B6, thiamin or vitamin B11 and riboflavin.
- B6 is extremely beneficial for our health for it significantly lowers the chances of developing sideroblastic anemia and homocystinuria.
- Cashews are also rich in essential minerals. Some of the most useful minerals found in cashew nuts are potassium, manganese, copper, selenium, magnesium, zinc and iron. Only a handful of these nuts on a daily basis can provide the necessary amount of minerals to protect you from deficiency- related diseases.
- Monounsaturated fatty acids which are in high quantities in these nuts are extremely good for the heart health, as palmitoleic and oleic acids. They belong to the group of essential fatty acids that can increase the level of good HDL cholesterol and decrease the level of harmful LDL cholesterol in our blood. In addition, as shown by many scientific studies, the so-called Mediterranean diet which is mostly based on monounsaturated fatty acids supports the blood lipid profile, and protect our system from strokes and coronary artery diseases.
- Cashews also contain a small quantity of one very important pigment of flavonoid antioxidants, called zeaxanthin, which is selectively absorbed inside the retinal macula in our eyes and the pigment also provides protective and antioxidant UV ray filtering features.
Cashews to Treat Depression Naturally
Apart from all the benefits that these nuts offer, Cashew Nuts are considered to be the best alternative treatment in cases of depression.
What has been hidden from us is the fact that cashew nuts are an excellent source of tryptophan, which is a vital amino acid that we need to take through our food. This miraculous item regulates our mood, improves sleep, helps children grow and develop, balances our behavior and significantly lowers the level of stress, anxiety and depression.
This component which has proven to be equally successful as prescription antidepressants in many cases also contains between 1.000 and 2.000 mg of it. Unlike antidepressants, they do not cause any side effects, however.