Fungi are microorganisms that are present everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. In fact, there are more than 50,000 different species of fungi in the environment. There are many fungi that can live on your skin for years without causing any problem. However, at times certain factors can cause fungi to overgrow or change, and this can lead to a fungal infection. Fungal infections are usually categorized by the type of fungi causing the problem, the affected body part and the severity of the infection. These infections can occur in any places of your skin, skin folds or any other areas of skin that is warm, humid.
Some types of infection are ringworm, yeast infections, athlete’s foot, jock itch etc. Several factors can contribute to acquiring a fungal infection including a side effect of antibiotics, a weakened immune system, diabetes, poor hygiene, living in a warm environment, poor blood circulation, a skin injury and coming in contact with someone who is infected.
Here we shall discuss some natural remedies for these normal fungal infections in skin,
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a common treatment for any kind of fungal infection. The apple cider vinegar helps in killing the fungus, its light acidic nature keeps the affected area clean from further infections.
- You can mix two table spoons of apple cider vinegar with warm water and apply them on the affected areas. You can also drink this mixture, it also helps to improve your immune system.
Coconut oil has effective antifungal properties that can kill the fungi responsible for yeast infections.
- Externally apply coconut oil on the affected areas three times a day.
- You can also make a mixture of equal amounts of coconut oil and cinnamon oil. Apply it on the affected skin area to control the growth of the infection.
- In case of oral thrush, swish the oil in your mouth for five to 10 minutes. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil or cinnamon oil and then use. Do not swallow. Do this at least three times a day.
You can use plain unsweetened yogurt to treat any kind of fungal infections, the probiotics in yogurt will keep the fungi number in check and produce lactic acid.
- Soak cotton in plain yogurt and apply it on the infected area. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water and pat dry. Follow this remedy two times a day until the infection clears.
- In case of vaginal infection, dip a tampon in yogurt and insert it in the vagina for two hours. Do this twice a day.
- Also, make plain yogurt a part of your daily diet. Eat two to three cups of plain yogurt daily until the infection is gone completely.
Turmeric and sea salt
Turmeric has natural anti fungal properties, the turmeric powder is used as medicines for various infections. The same with sea salt, it acts as perfect anti fungi component in a medicine. So by applying these two it is possible to avoid, cure any kind of fungal infection.
Take 2 tea spoons of turmeric powder mix with a pinch of salt and water ,
Apply them in the area of infection,
Garlic is a useful antifungal agent and hence very effective for any type of infection . It also has antibacterial and antibiotic properties that play a key role in the recovery process.
- Crush two garlic cloves and add a few drops of olive oil to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then wash the area with lukewarm water and pat dry the skin thoroughly. Follow this treatment twice daily until you get rid of the infection.
- To treat a fungal infection in the vagina, wrap one garlic clove in gauze and put it in the vagina for not more than 30 minutes. Use this treatment once daily for several days.