Whatever we cook at home we are always amazed to see the street foods, they use to tempt us easily than others. It sometimes leaves us with food poisoning, especially during monsoon seasons. The term food poisoning comes from the illness we get from eating food with bacteria, virus or other toxins. Not only the street foods are responsible for food poisoning, contaminated food are the main reason. Contamination of foods can occur at any point in food processing or production, including harvesting, packing, transporting, and displaying food for sale. Most cases of food poisoning are caused by bacterial contamination.
Most of us have suffered food poisoning even one time or another. When you are suffering from food poisoning, your body is likely to lose more water than normal. So drink more water to stay hydrated. It will also help flush out the toxins causing your symptoms. Vomiting and diarrhea are the main symptoms of food poisoning, these two can easily drain the water content of your body. So high fluid intake is the first thing you should do. Here we see certain home remedies that you can immediately from the things available within your kitchen.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the first remedy anyone can prefer for a food poisoning. The alkaline content eases the symptoms like vomiting.
- Consume 2 tablespoons of ACV in warm water before eating any solid food. It kills bacteria and prevents indigestion that causes food poisoning.
Ginger improves absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients and aids in digestion. Hence, it works as a quick remedy for nausea and vomiting, thereby giving you instant relief.
- Drink one cup of ginger tea after eating lunch or dinner to stop heartburn, nausea and other symptoms associated with food poisoning. To make ginger tea, boil one teaspoon grated ginger in a cup of water for a few minutes, add a little sugar or honey and your tea is ready.
- Another option is to add a few drops of ginger juice to one teaspoon of honey and swallow it several times a day to reduce inflammation and pain.
- You can also eat raw ginger slices
Cumin seeds have various medicinal values, it is mainly used to treat indigestion related discomforts. Cumin seeds ease the abdominal discomfort and inflammation due to vomiting.
- Add cumin seeds to boiling water and allow it to brew for some time in the water. Let the cumin flavor mix with water. Use this water to hydrate yourself at this time.
- You can also make an herbal drink from cumin seeds, salt, and asafoetida. Drink it two to three times a day. This will cleanse the system and relieve your symptoms.
Honey has both antifungal and antibacterial properties that can be effective for treating indigestion and other food poisoning symptoms. Honey as a natural remedy can be taken in its pure form or added to tea.
Fenugreek seeds with yogurt
Yogurt has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help fight the bacteria causing food poisoning. Plus, fenugreek seeds help treat abdominal discomfort.
- You can take one teaspoon fenugreek seeds along with a tablespoon of yogurt. You just need to swallow the seeds and need not chew them.
- The combining effect of fenugreek seeds and yogurt will give you an immediate relief from stomach pain as well as vomiting.
Basil is a superb herb that relieves a person from infection.
- One can take basil in various forms like it can be taken as juice along with honey, or its juice can be added in one liter of water, which can be drunk throughout the day to erode infection.
- Alternatively, basil can be taken by adding three tablespoons of yogurt in it along with a pinch of black pepper and some sea salt. Eat this for about three-four times a day until the symptoms of food poisoning are gone.
The anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties in lemons can give you much relief. The acid in lemons helps kill bacteria that cause food poisoning.
- Just add a pinch of sugar to one teaspoon of lemon juice and drink it two to three times a day.
- You can also sip on warm water with lemon juice to clean out your system.