Total Time: Prep: Level: Easy Serves: 4
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4″ slices
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 medium yellow tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf ciabatta, halved lengthwise
- 8 oz. mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat until golden and crispy, 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- On a baking sheet, brush zucchini strips with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill zucchini until tender and slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Lay tomato slices on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to soak up liquid.
- Place ciabatta halves on a cutting board. Brush insides of loaf with olive oil. Layer bottom half with zucchini strips, bacon, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Top with other half ciabatta. Halve loaf and brush outside with olive oil.
- Preheat a panini press. (If you don’t have a panini press, cook sandwich in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a heavy pot or pan on top to weigh it down; flip sandwich halfway through to make sure both sides get cooked evenly.) Place half of sandwich in panini grill and cook, pressing down from time to time, until golden and cheese is melty, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining sandwich half, then serve cut into triangles.