One of the healthiest foods you can eat are eggs as they can help you lose weight and provide you with many nutrients. Here is how:
- They are rich in high-quality protein, healthy fats and many essential vitamins and minerals;
- They have unique properties which make them weight-loss friendly;
- They are low in calories and can be used to reduce your daily calorie intake as one large egg contains 78 calories and is high in nutrients. Once egg meal consists of 2-4 eggs, and 3 large boiled eggs contain less than 240 calories, plus some vegetables, you’ll get a meal of 300 calories. If you fry them, you may add 50 calories more for each tsp of oil or butter you use.
- They are very filling and nutrient-dense due to their high protein content which reduces the appetite and increases the fullness, especially during later meals. They rank high on a scale called the Satiety index which evaluates how well foods help you feel full and reduce calorie intake later on. If you are on a high-protein diet, obsessive thoughts about food may reduce up to 60% and it will cut the desire for late-night snacks by half.
- They boost the metabolism due to the essential amino acids they contain. Your body may easily use protein in eggs for maintenance and metabolism. If you eat a high-protein diet, you will boost your metabolism by 80-100 calories a day through the thermic effect of food. This is actually the energy required by the body in order to metabolize foods and is higher for protein than for fat and carbs. This will help you burn more calories.
- They are a great way to start your day as they are great for weight loss. Many studies have shown that eating eggs instead of bagels increased the feeling of fullness and caused them consume fewer calories over the next 36 hours, and caused up to 65% greater weight loss over 8 weeks. Egg breakfast causes more stable blood glucose and insulin response while suppressing the hunger hormone, ghrelin.
- They are cheap and easy to prepare. Moreover, they are delicious and there are many ways to prepare them. A breakfast omelet with couple of eggs and some veggies makes for a great and quick weight loss friendly breakfast.
- They are great source of vitamins and minerals which are commonly lacking in our diets.