Picking up the right ingredients should be everybody’s leader to good health.
Raw, unprocessed food has to be our number one choice when we go to a supermarket. One of the so many reasons is our heart health.
Heart diseases are the most common cause of death in America. One out of every four deaths in the U.S. is related to heart failure. Lack of proper nutrients the heart needs to maintain its function, allowing improper ingredients enter our digestive system and run with the blood through the whole body, reaching the heart also, provoking free radicals to turn down the main actions are some of the reasons why our heart is threatening a disease.
To avoid this to happen, we offer you enough of the proper nutrients your heart is hungry for, all fresh, raw, mixed into a glass into a so called – smoothie.
It is filling, delicious and chock full of superfoods that each target heart health in their own unique way. The avocado gives this a smooth silkiness, while the sweetness of the apple pairs very well with the taste of avocado. The almond milk gives the mixture a wonderfully nutty aftertaste.
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
Just place the ingredients in your blender and blend away…
Heart Health Benefits
- Avocado — rich in vitamin B6, which can help reduce inflammation that can lead to heart disease. Its monounsaturated fatty acids have also been shown to help lower the risk of heart disease.
- Apple — the well-known thought: an apple a day keeps the doctor away has been said because it helps fight C-reactive protein, which can increase the risk of heart disease. The mighty apple also contains compounds that delay the breakdown of LDL, the “bad cholesterol.”
- Almond milk — in vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that can reduce plaque buildup in your arteries. Almond milk is also high in healthy fats like omega fatty acids, which helps to prevent high blood pressure.
Pina Colada Smoothie
Quick bummer alert: this Pina Colada contains no rum. You could add a cup of rum for a more traditional Pina Colada flavor. I’ll leave that up to you…
The Pina Colada Blast works great to replenish you after any exercise or summer activities. It also has just about everything you need to help ward off heart disease.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 whole banana
- 1-2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup spinach
- Handful of ice
Heart Health Benefits
- Pineapple — citrus fruits like pineapple are high in vitamin C, which has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. We use fresh pineapple since the canning process tends to damage some of the nutrients in the fruit. Canned pineapple, for example, has only 60% of the vitamin C that a fresh one packs.
- Banana — perhaps the best source of potassium for your money. Potassium reduces the effects of sodium on the body, which can help control blood pressure.
- Coconut Milk — rich in lauric acid, which can boost HDL — good cholesterol — levels.
- Spinach — there’s a reason Popeye ate spinach to boost his brawn; it is a nutritional powerhouse. It is high in vitamins A, C, E, K as well as a slew of other antioxidants. Heart-wise, it contains potassium and magnesium, which can help reduce blood pressure. It also contains CoQ10, which has just been shown to lower heart failure mortality.
And the last one, my favourite I might admit – Chocolate Almond Delight. You don’t have to treat it like a guilty pleasure. Both cocoa and dark chocolate have a slew of cardiovascular benefits. So while this smoothie tastes like a dessert, it is perfectly suitable for a healthy breakfast.
Chocolate Almond Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons maca powder
Here’s why this smoothie is healthy:
Heart Health Benefits
- Cocoa Powder — like Kale, cocoa powder is rich in flavonoids, which can increase your HDL (good cholesterol). It has also been shown to reduce inflammation associated with heart disease.
- Maca Powder — maca powder contains iron and can help restore red blood cells, which can help fight cardiovascular diseases. Maca is not only good for your heart, you might notice a big difference in the bedroom, too. It has also been shown to improve sexual health, stamina, and energy levels.
- Almond Butter — this delicious alternative to peanut butter is packed with monounsaturated fats, which can reduce “bad” cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
So there you have it, three easy and delicious ways to boost your heart health without using drugs and other “curable medicaments” the pharmaceutical industry offers you to take it.